Sunday, May 15, 2011

beauty school drop out

This week's green topic: beauty products. Boy, did I learn a lot this week. It all started with a book I got for my birthday (thank you Alicia!) called Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano. The premise of the book is that you can be green and still be stylish. I'm only on the second chapter because I had to stop and do the exercise. Here's what is it: Uliano lists the top eight dangerous ingredients in beauty products and tells you to look at the ingredients in your products and get rid of them if they contain these things. I actually put this off all week because I didn't want to know how many bad products I have. I'm a bit of a product junkie, as you will see in the pictures below. These are just the things I keep in my bathroom- not including the guest bathroom, kitchen, purse, etc. But I finally evaluated them because some of these ingrediants are linked to cancer, hormone imbalance, reproductive issues, immune system, allergies, and birth defects. And I'm slathering them all over my skin everyday?! WTF! Oh yeah, and I read in this Taste For Life buy Organic magazine that toxins I ingest are passed to my son through my breastmilk. So there's another reason for me to be aware.

First of all, these are the keepers.
There is a label to look for on beauty products that assure you it's an organic product. Don't buy them because it says natural or has a picture of a plant like I did.


This pile is use them up but don't buy them again.



And this is my trash pile.
 I felt really wasteful throwing these out but I want to change my
lifestyle to be more green and many of them were just old.  

And I have a humongous headache from tipping those fragrances down the drain! I didn't even look at makeup or perfume yet. The next time I'm buying beauty products I'm taking my list of harmful products and buying things with ingredients that I can pronounce. Maybe a trip to LUSH is in my future? Joanne, are you reading this? Lol.

Which organic/ natural beauty products are your favorite?

P.S. my local egg lady is upping her price to $5.00, she said it's because they're upgrading to a better feed. The eggs are really good, going to have to decide if it's worth the money, decisions...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nic, I'm on the team for organic beauty products!! Fyi beware on the sunscreens, I haven't had the best luck finding one that works really well yet. You may want to hold on to some that you have until either trying some samples or doing research first. Don't buy the Burt's Bees one it runs all over your face the minute you start sweating. I would keep anything that you really really like until you find something that works for you before throwing in the trash. I've been wearing non-anti-perspirant deodorant for awhile, but men's speedstick is the only one that can keep the pits from stinkin! I recently threw out the speedstick for some organic herbal deodorant and I regretted it; I was at lunch and had to run to the nearest CVS and get the regular icky stuff, ha ha. I love the MyChelle face products and most all of Aubrey Organics lotion, etc. This brand has the highest %age of all-natural ingredients which makes it a little pricier. I also bought some natural nail polish which was way over-priced and chipped within hours. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite natural products is jojoba oil. I use it to remove my eye makeup, I use it to moisturize my face at night, I use it on Linnea when we run out of her Burt Bee's lotion, and I used it in my hair when it was long. Plus, it's pretty cheap at Sprouts and lasts a LONG time. MyChelle is an amazing line...I want to save up for that one too. I am so glad you are enjoying your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to do this too! I think I will have to read that book!I bought a sampler of MyChelle products from Whole Foods. I really like the sunshield, but only use it on my face, as it's too expensive to slather over my whole body.

    ReplyDelete