Saturday, April 16, 2011

a dirty waste

I haven't been able to write for a few days because I've been taking care of a sick baby. My little guy got sick this week for the first time with a fever, lethargy and some nasty diapers.  I'm happy to report he's feeling better now but we're still laying low so to not spread this around.

This lovely beast is our compost. I requested it from our city for a small $5 deposit. It's just a trash can with the bottom cut off. The idea started with making our baby food. Making baby food creates a lot of food waste, like apple and sweet potato peel. We didn't even own a peeler beforehand because we leave the skins on everything we eat. I hated throwing these in the trash so now they go in the compost. I also put in egg shell, banana peel, carrot tops, broccoli stalks, all veggie and fruit remnants. My husband adds the grass clippings and also a couple bags of soil have gone in to help the process along. I water the compost (and feel kind of silly doing it) and turn it every week with the pitchfork. My zombie slaying skills have come a long way. Some of my friends have asked me "what are you going to do with the soil?" I didn't really stop to think about that before starting the compost. I thought it would take a long time to get to that point. But we throw away a lot of food waste! You should try collecting yours one day to see how much you actually throw away. I empty our bowl by the sink a few times a day and the compost is getting pretty full. So, this next picture is the before picture for my garden! There is no after picture yet. Hopefully posting this will get me motivated to get the supplies and begin.

Note the spout from our gutter in the right hand corner. It will be self watering, when it actually rains! The hose is pretty close to this area too.

This is an added bonus picture of my family enjoying an afternoon in the AZ sunshine.
 Can you spot the Jimmy John's cup?

No comments:

Post a Comment